The Essense of Essential Oils
If good things come in small packages, then aromatherapy is Mother Nature’s greatest gift to one’s health. Aromatherapy is the ancient healing art of using essential oils, which are highly concentrated aromatic extracts from plants and flowers. These oils all contain unique healing properties that can both prevent and cure an array of health problems. Some oils possess properties that fight infection and inflammation. Some oils can relax sedate, invigorate, enhance memory, ease pain, balance the four energy bodies and rejuvenate. Aromatherapy is one the most popular treatments worldwide in clinics and spas throughout Europe. Aromatherapy also refers to the medical practice of using essential oils in some countries. In our hustle and bustle world, often we forget to nurture ourselves as we are so busy making sure everyone else is taken care of. Aromatherapy is one way to experience self care and wellness on many levels at once. Essential oils are so powerful that one or two drops are all that is needed to perform healing actions. These oils are so potent that one drop of peppermint essential oil equals thirty cups of herbal tea in terms of concentration. Not only have essential oils been shown to improve mental health and well-being, but they are also a great way to invite serenity into one’s home and keep each room smelling heavenly. Shhhhhh... I am about to tell you delicious secrets to health. The following are creative ways to use essential oils: to bring peace, relaxation, and simplicity into one’s space. • Put a few drops of essential oil in the bag or filter of a vacuum cleaner. This will fill the room with aroma while cleaning. This instantly changes the energy of a room and the people in the room too.
• Put 3-6 drops of essential oil on a handful of cotton balls and place them throughout one’s closet shelves. Next time one reaches for new sheets or towels, a waft of the heavenly scent will be present. Do the same thing to one’s dresser drawers, desk drawers, etc.
• Add a few drops of essential oil to water in a spray bottle to freshen up one’s linen or spray on clothing before ironing. (Don’t use dark oils on white clothes, I learned the hard way, smelled great though!)
• To clean one’s fridge, put a few drops of orange, mandarin, mint, lavender, or lemon oil in a spray bottle of water. Not only will it disinfect and clean the fridge, but it will leave a wonderful scent when done.
• Simmer a few drops of Cinnamon and Nutmeg essential oils and other spice to create a warm and delicious scent in one’s kitchen. OR make a pot of incredible air freshener by adding cinnamon sticks, cloves and sliced lemon to water and simmer on the stove. This eliminates any odor in the kitchen.
• Take 30 minutes to relax in a sensuous bath infused with 5 drops rosemary oil, 4 drops lemon oil and 4 drops clary sage oil. It is believed that Rosemary will stimulate one’s thinking process, lemon will refresh, and clary sage promotes an all-over feeling of well-being. These are a few quick and easy ways to enhance one’s mental and emotional health through aromatherapy, but one should consult a trained Aromatherapist who can read the chemical composition of an essential oil profile and make an educated decision about the safety of an essential oil before delving into this healing modality.